Monday, July 12, 2010

Working during College

Working can help pay for college, but can also restrict student's opportunities to learn. In today's society there are more and more students working while attending college. in the 1999-2000 academic year over 80% of U.S. undergrads were working while attending college. There are two categories of students that work. First, there are students that identify themselves as first as students, then employees. Second, there are the students that identify themselves as full-time workers that take some college classes. Part-time employment can be beneficial to students and supplement spending money. Full-time employment may be detrimental to student performance. Research has shown that as the number of hours worked increased the more likely students grades were to suffer. Also, students who work full-time are more likely to drop out of college.

Research shows that the effects of working in college varies by the type of job and its relation to the academic environment. In some cases students may be participating in cooperative program, which are paid apprenticeships in a field that they are interested in pursuing. Also working can provide opportunities, in a field of interest, like internships or part-time summer job. Participating in co-ops, internships, or summer jobs can be a key to getting job after college. Most employers report that 60% of their entry level work college hires had a co-op or internship with the company.

My opinion:
The only semester that I did not work while I was in college, was my very first semester. From that point on I worked anywhere from 15 to 25 hours a week, plus I took a full load of classes. None of the jobs I had in college where on campus jobs. However, during my junior year I started working in a specialty retail store because I was a Retail and Consumer Science Major. I am not going to say that working and going to college was easy. There were times when I was extremely stressed out, but I managed to make it through. And I graduated from college Magna Cum Laude. I think it is possible to work and go to school. I don't think that it is the right choice for everyone. Some people just need to focus on one thing at a time. But I do agree it is a good idea to participate in internships or summer job in a field of interest. I got my job with Macy's by doing an internship with them the summer before I graduated from college.

What do you think?

Sources:

Santrock, J. W. (2008). Life-Span Development (12 ed.). New York City: McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages.


Working in College. (n.d.). Welcome! The College at Brockport. Retrieved July 12, 2010, from http://www.brockport.edu/career01/upromise.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment