Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Childhood Obesity

Childhood obesity is a growing health problem in the United States. Obesity is an excess of body weight due to fat that puts people at risk for health problems. In children obesity is measured by the Body Mass Index (BMI). The BMI is calculated from the child’s weight and height. Those with a BMI over 85% but less than the 95th percentiles are considered overweight. However, those with a BMI greater than the 95th percentile are considered to be obese.

The CDC has three categories obesity, overweight, and at risk for being overweight. A study showed that from 2003-2006, 11% of 2 to 19 years olds were obese, 16% were overweight, and 38% were at risk for being overweight. These numbers are likely to continue to grow if changes in children’s lifestyles do not occur. A child’s eating behavior is influenced by its caregiver. The child’s eating behavior improves when the caregiver eats with the child on a predictable schedule, models eating healthy food, makes mealtime pleasant, and engages in certain feeding styles. Also, children should be free of distraction from television, family arguments, and competing activities during mealtime. In addition, a child’s life should be focused around activities, not meals. Therefore, physical activity should occur daily. Healthy lifestyle habits, including healthy eating and physical activity, can lower the risk of becoming obese and developing related diseases. Otherwise overweight children are going to continue to be overweight as they get older.

Childhood obesity has both immediate and long-term health impacts. For example, obese youth are more likely to have risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure. Also, children and adolescents who are obese are at greater risk for bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, and social and psychological problems. Obese youth are more likely than youth of normal weight to become overweight or obese adults. Therefore they create more risk for associated adult health problems including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, several types of cancer, and osteoarthritis. Also, obese children have lower self esteem and self confidence than their thinner peers. Low self esteem and self confidence can lead to poor academic performance, fewer friends, and depression. These problems are why is it is important to try and prevent childhood obesity. Also, it is important to identify overweight and obese children quickly, so they can begin treatment and attain and maintain a healthy weight.

My opinion:

My mom and I were discussing the issue of childhood obesity one day, and I told her I just can't seem to figure out why this is such a growing trend. I remember when I was in elementary school, I ate junk food all the time. A typical lunch for me was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a bag of chips, a fruit roll-up or a bag of gushers, and two cartons of orange juice. As far as I can remember I was pretty much allowed to eat whatever I wanted. My mom's response to me was "Yes, you got to eat whatever you wanted, but you would play outside for hours a day. Plus you played basketball, softball, and volleyball. Not to mention that you rode your bike all over the neighborhood." So event though I ate all kinds of junk food, I was an extremely active kid and I was burning it all off. Now, I believe that technology is great. Without it I am not sure where the world would be. However, I think that video games, internet, and television are ruining the lives are children today. I know so many kids that would much rather stay inside to play on the computer or play a video game instead of go outside to play. So when you are eating junk food and staying inside all day, the calories are not being burned. Which is causing them to be overweight and obese.

As a family and consumer science teacher one of the classes that I will teach is foods and nutrition. In my opinion this is one of the most important classes that I will teach. I look forward to working with my students to show them what are appropriate foods to eat and teaching them how to lead a healthy lifestyle.

Whats your opinion?

Sources:

AAP: PREVENTION OF PEDIATRIC OVERWEIGHT AND OBESITY. (n.d.). AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS WEB SITE. Retrieved July 6, 2010, from http://www.aap.org/obesity/index.html

Childhood Obesity - DASH/HealthyYouth. (n.d.). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved July 6, 2010, from http://www.cdc.gov/HealthyYouth/obesity/

Santrock, J. W. (2008). Life-Span Develpment (12 ed.). New York City: McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages.


1 comment:

  1. I agree, I think that today we are making couch potatoes out of out children. When I was young there was nothing to watch on TV during the summer but soap operas..no disney channel or cartoon network. So what did we do we played outside. We rode bikes and climbed trees. We ate what we wanted and another thing that was different from today is we rarely ate out. That was for special occasions and today it is a way of life. Also, families ate together and had family time around the table which made meals a special time. I think we have lost this with all the fast food available.

    ReplyDelete